Sunday, September 14, 2008

About that Title....

Welcome to the Rattlin' Blog! I know some people (at least my mother) enjoyed reading the Chile or Bust blog (www.chileorbust.blogspot.com), so I've decided to take it up again. Like my Chile blog, this blog will chronicle my adventures (when and if they happen), and so much more. When adventures are scarce, and my life has slipped into the doldrums of work or tax forms or scholarship applications or I am living in my parents house; I may write about any number of obscure, random and off-the-wall topics. This said, I vow to avoid hackneyed political commentary as if it smells of putrid camel-carcass, although I do reserve the right to take the occasional shot at authority figures and bigoted TV personalities (we won't mention any names but for you "V for Vendetta" fans it's Lewis Prothero, and if the Colbert Report is your poison, it's "Papa Bear.")

So...about the title.

Somewhere in the archives of the basement there is an old family video. This film contains footage of me as a young whippersnapper dancing like I'm about to beat the final level on "Dance, Dance Revolution." Put another way, it looked like someone fed me three shots of espresso and put a bee in my knickers.

Anyway, my dancing was inspired by a song entitled "The Rattlin' Bog," which, it turns out, is an Irish drinking song. But, in the innocence of my youth, I just thought it was a kickin' groove. Recently, the song was unearthed when it was played at the Mark and Meg's wedding reception. I'm not sure why they decided to throw that song on the playlist (although my promise to re-enact the dance may have influenced their choice) but we're bringing it back, baby.

Yo Ho the Rattlin' Blog
The blog down in the valley-o
Yo ho the Rattlin' Blog
The blog down in the valley-o

Well on this blog there was a tree a rare tree a rattlin' tree
And the tree in the blog and the blog down in the valley-o

And on this tree there was a branch
A rare branch a rattlin' branch
And the branch on the tree
And the tree in the blog
And the blog down in the valley-o

Etc.

You can listen to the tune on the sidebar of the blog anytime you want!. Yee-haw!

Sorry Pete.

No comments: